Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:48:08AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Philipp Kern wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:33:46PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > > I cannot influence the R release cycle which happens within our freeze. As
> > > have a few previous R releases, and none of those created any trouble.
> >
> > Thanks for trading the R release cycle with Debian's and for delaying the
> > release. The harm has already been done, so somebody should probably go
> > and create a transition tracker for it?
>
> IMO it's important to remember that it's fundamentally the release team
> that is at fault for problems here, not the R maintainer. Unstable has

Whatever the issue is here, no, this is not release team's fault. It
is simply following the procedure which Debian developers, as a
community, agreed on as the one which results in quality which Debian
is known for.

> already been frozen for much longer than is in any way reasonable for
> either development of Debian, users of Debian unstable, or upstreams
> whose current software is either not being packaged at all or is only in
> experimental.
>
> I've personally seen as upstream many users suffering from problems
> caused by old version in unstable (and had to deal with those problems
> caused by Debian). And as a Debian user I've suffered in multiple cases
> from outdated software myself; latest was just today when I noticed that
> Debian's GDB version is too old to understand the default debug
> information format produced by current GCC. I've used Debian because I
> think that much of the packaging has been done well technically. But
> releases have never been Debian's strong point, and when you have to
> compile basic software like GDB yourself it's hard to recommend the
> distro for development either (in this case there was no working version
> in experimental either; having it only there would have been better than
> manual compiling but not in any way adequate IMO).

Your rhetoric is out of line, irrelevant and off-topic for
debian-devel. If you have constructive suggestions on how to improve
the release process, please take them to #debian-project.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC