Re: apt-show-versions rewrite

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM, nick black <nick.black@sprezzatech.com> wrote:
> David Kalnischkies left as an exercise for the reader:
> In any case, it appears that this is an idea which is only going to stir up
> resentment from the APT team -- understandably, I suppose -- and thus I
> cheerfully withdraw my suggestion that Debian and the APT Team look at it.
[snip]
> to make an apple pie from scratch, you need first invent a universe.

to clarify: We (as in APT Team) are of course not "angry" (as in resentment)
about anyone doing in its own time whatever (s)he want to do.
We are "just" sad that the time isn't invested to bring the APT ecosystem
forward in the immediate future – and in this case the "we" stands not only
for few people actually working in the APT ecosystem but also millions of
users who haven't a chance to benefit from the work you do as it is
inaccessible for them – or at least not as easily accessible as it could be.

Its of course possible that in future APT will be replaced by XYZ, as nothing
is irreplaceable if enough work is invested – heck, fairy tales say that you
can even replace an init system or the kernel! – the question is just how far
away this future will be and if this compares well with the time you invest
and the effect you want to get out of this investment.

I guess it is pretty clear from what I wrote so far that I have chosen the
easy path by not reinventing the universe to fix my problems with the apple
pie, but others have chosen a different route and that is fine, I just wanted
to highlight that there are different paths and naturally you will find some
others traveling on the same path which will be happy that you go with them
(or that all the others you have chosen not to join will be sad as I worded
 it in my first mail).

So as far as I am concert feel free to keep us in the loop as it's always
interesting to know what others do to solve similar problems.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies