Re: adduser Pre-Depends for qemu-system-common

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:58:24PM -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> qemu-system-common installs a udev rules file which sets /dev/kvm group
> to 'kvm'.  Its postinst then adds a kvm group.  However udev reads the
> new rules file as soon as it sees it, sees that group kvm doesn't
> exist, and ignores that part of the rule (until reboot, udev restart,
> or the rule is re-added, of course).

> To fix this the kvm group should be created during preinst before the
> udev rules file is unpacked.  This requires adding adduser to the
> Pre-Depends.  vorlon warned me that any new pre-depends should be
> discussed here first, so I'm emailing to ask - is this ok?  Is there
> a better way?

FWIW, my own analysis is that this looks fine; qemu-system-common is nothing
approaching a core package, and adduser is already one of the most common
Pre-Dependencies in the archive (32 packages in unstable; the only more
common pre-deps seem to be multiarch-support, and dpkg).  So I think this is
a clear cut legitimate use of a Pre-Depends, but of course this should still
get other eyeballs on it in case I've missed something.

Thanks,