Re: Gerrit, Git requirements, cooperation with others. was: git dangerous operations on alioth

On 03/08/2013 10:34 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2013-03-08 14:52:48 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Koch wrote:
> [...]
>> http://openstack-ci.github.com/publications/
> [...]
>
> I'm one of the core developers for the team which manages all that
> tooling and integration for the OpenStack Project, so I'm happy to
> discuss some of the nitty-gritty details, any gotchas/unpleasantness
> we experience and how we work around it.
>
> A better starting URL is http://ci.openstack.org/ and we're also
> very active on freenode in #openstack-infra for those who desire
> more synchronous conversation.
I've started copying others, and I now have a a KGB bot, and a
Jenkins VM. Now, the only thing I have to do is "git push", and
here's the result on the #debian-openstack channel:

<PKG-Openstack> python-json-patch thomas debian/experimental * ffa137a
debian/ changelog rules
<PKG-Openstack> python-json-patch Now running the unit tests, thanks to
Michael Terry <mterry@ubuntu.com> for the patch (Closes: #702443).
[Openstack-Cowbuild] Starting build #2 for job python-json-patch
(previous build: SUCCESS)
[Openstack-Cowbuild] Project python-json-patch build #2:SUCCESS in 46
sec: https://117.121.243.213/job/python-json-patch/2/

I start to really love the CI thing. I first invested a bit of
time in setting-up everything, then it's crazy how much work
that saves me, especially with a lot of packages (Openstack and
its Python module (build-)dependencies represents nearly 50
source packages now).

Once the package is finished building (in a cowbuilder, using
git-buildpackage), my script puts it automatically in my
private repository, and runs dpkg-scanpackages / dpkg-scansources
to keep up-to-date my package repository.

I think I'll add piuparts tests as well, and will also run
lintian, so it appears in the build log.

Jenkins helps being "lazy" (in the good way). Do a commit, then
wait for the result. That's quite cool! Though it took me few
days to have this setup. It would be nice to spare all this to
other DDs, and have the infrastructure already setup for
everyone.

Apart from the fact that this kind of tools helps saving a lot
of maintainer's time, the Gerrit thing would help giving some
more restrictive access. Because for the moment, it's either
we give all access, or nothing. Many times, I've granted access
to others who, at the end, didn't commit anything. For these,
if I had something like Gerrit, I would first ask them to send
patches, which wouldn't require a full unix right into
/git/openstack, which makes me nervous.

Cheers,

Thomas