Re: NDEBUG when building packages?

* Ian Jackson:

> Mathieu Malaterre writes ("Re: NDEBUG when building packages?"):
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Ian Jackson
>> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>> > -DNDEBUG is (normally) EBW.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBW ?
>
> Evil, Bad and Wrong.

So it's not "everbody wins"?  Oh.

> Certainly -DNDEBUG should never be used unless upstream explicitly say
> that it's intended to be supported, and usually not even then.

I've seen some cases where -DNDEBUG pampers over crashers due to
invalid asserts.  On the other hand, there is a lot of code out there
which performs actions with side effects inside the assert.

Not overriding upstream's default is probably a good idea, but as was
pointed out, this is a bit murky with CMake projects.