Re: Getting Intel Cedarview drivers into Debian

On 21/12/12 14:23, Mikko Rasa wrote:
> Hi Debian developers,
> I'm working as a consultant on a project to develop drivers for the
> PowerVR graphics processor in the Cedarview family of Intel Atom
> microprocessors in a Debian environment.  The current target is Wheezy,
> and Intel wishes to get the drivers into the official distribution.
> What they've failed to take into account is that Wheezy is currently
> frozen in preparation of release, so I'm more than a bit skeptical of
> getting a new package in (I was only brought in to the project very
> recently).  However, I promised to ask you about this, so here we go.
> It should be noted that due to licensing issues, the driver will be
> closed source.  The kernel component is under the GPL, so a dkms package
> will be made.
> There's also one kernel patch that needs to be applied to Wheezy's
> kernel for the driver to function.  The patch has been accepted to the
> mainline kernel, and my understanding is that it's included in the 3.7
> release[1].
> On to questions:
> 1. Is there any possibility of getting the drivers in the initial Wheezy
> release?  If so, what needs to happen on our end?
> 2. What about a subsequent update to Wheezy?  I wasn't able to find
> information on what kinds of changes are permitted.
> 3. Neither us nor Intel has any Debian developers on our respective
> payrolls.  What's the best approach for maintaining the package?  Should
> someone from Intel become a maintainer, or are there some existing
> developers or maintainers that can take responsibility of the package
> after the initial work is complete?
> [1]
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=ac207ed2471150e06af0afc76e4becc701fa2733

Has been there any progress related to this?

Ubuntu 12.04 has this drivers already packaged. You can take their
packages and adapt them to Debian Wheezy.

Unfortunately Ubuntu packages won't work on Debian Wheezy because the
binary blob for the Xorg driver (cedarview-graphics-drivers) is linked
with glibc 2.15 and Wheezy has 2.13.

I would be interested in testing any package that you may have for
Wheezy. Just let me know about it.