Re: Getting Intel Cedarview drivers into Debian

On 21/12/12 14:23, Mikko Rasa wrote:
> Hi Debian developers,
>
> I'm working as a consultant on a project to develop drivers for the
> PowerVR graphics processor in the Cedarview family of Intel Atom
> microprocessors in a Debian environment.  The current target is Wheezy,
> and Intel wishes to get the drivers into the official distribution.
>
> What they've failed to take into account is that Wheezy is currently
> frozen in preparation of release, so I'm more than a bit skeptical of
> getting a new package in (I was only brought in to the project very
> recently).  However, I promised to ask you about this, so here we go.
>
> It should be noted that due to licensing issues, the driver will be
> closed source.  The kernel component is under the GPL, so a dkms package
> will be made.
>
> There's also one kernel patch that needs to be applied to Wheezy's
> kernel for the driver to function.  The patch has been accepted to the
> mainline kernel, and my understanding is that it's included in the 3.7
> release[1].
>
> On to questions:
>
> 1. Is there any possibility of getting the drivers in the initial Wheezy
> release?  If so, what needs to happen on our end?
>
> 2. What about a subsequent update to Wheezy?  I wasn't able to find
> information on what kinds of changes are permitted.
>
> 3. Neither us nor Intel has any Debian developers on our respective
> payrolls.  What's the best approach for maintaining the package?  Should
> someone from Intel become a maintainer, or are there some existing
> developers or maintainers that can take responsibility of the package
> after the initial work is complete?
>
> [1]
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=ac207ed2471150e06af0afc76e4becc701fa2733

Hi!

Has been there any progress related to this?

Ubuntu 12.04 has this drivers already packaged. You can take their
packages and adapt them to Debian Wheezy.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/cedarview-drm
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/cedarview-graphics-drivers
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver

Unfortunately Ubuntu packages won't work on Debian Wheezy because the
binary blob for the Xorg driver (cedarview-graphics-drivers) is linked
with glibc 2.15 and Wheezy has 2.13.

I would be interested in testing any package that you may have for
Wheezy. Just let me know about it.

Regards!