Re: No native packages?

Gergely Nagy writes ("Re: No native packages?"):
> There are two native packages I maintain, and I've yet to hear a good
> reason for making either of them non-native. Making it harder and much
> much more inconvenient for downstream distributions to modify them is a
> *goal* in these cases: to make it harder to diverge from one
> another.

I haven't looked up to see what these packages are, but I worry that
what you are doing here is undermining the freedom of our downstreams.

The ability of our users and downstreams to choose to modify the
software we distribute is the core of their software freedom.  As a
project we should be making it easier, not harder, to produce modified
derivatives.

Thanks,
Ian.