Re: No native packages?

Julien Cristau wrote:
> > Maybe I forgot the answer, but at least in terms of git and the dpkg
> > 3.0 (git) format, why can't we simply make use of shallow cloning?
>
> At which point you have lost all the advantages of shipping the
> repository that Tollef mentioned, as far as I can tell.  You're back to
> needing an external repository that's kept up to date if you ever need
> to get at the history.

You can shallow clone at depth one each ref in the repository, which gets you
all tags (filter to released versions to avoid needing any further license
review).

joey@gnu:~/src>git clone --depth 1 --bare --no-single-branch file://`pwd`/debhelper debhelper.shallow
Cloning into bare repository 'debhelper.shallow'...
remote: Counting objects: 7372, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (7372/7372), 2.70 MiB | 1007 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (3760/3760), done.
joey@gnu:~/src/debhelper.shallow>git log --oneline 9.20120909
d27f027 releasing version 9.20120909
893119b Update French translation

git-clone needs to be fixed to allow specifiying --depth 0, which currently
includes the full history, rather than only the head of each branch.

--
see shy jo