Re: No native packages?

Am Montag, den 28.01.2013, 22:53 -0600 schrieb Peter Samuelson:
> [Benjamin Drung]
> > Image the opposite. You want to package a software that is only
> > available in a downstream distribution (e.g. Ubuntu or Linux
> > Mint). Do you prefer to have a non-native format or a native format?
>
> If their native format is an archive in gzipped tar file format, like
> ours is, I'm not sure I would care, if I even _notice_, that there is
> packaging metadata for some other operating system in there.  In fact
> it's not at all uncommon for upstream projects to ship .spec files,
> .vcproj files, and other platform-specific build infrastructure.
>
> Maybe you're thinking of the inconvenience of the top-level 'debian'
> directory, which is rather inflexible in that all Debian distributions
> and derivatives use the same path for their own use, but that ceased to
> be a problem several dpkg releases ago.

Versioning is a problem for native packages. Which version will you give
your upload to Debian? Using the same version number (with no Debian
revision) will lead to the same version for your Debian package and the
downstream distribution package, but despite the same version, the
content of the tarball will be different (at least regarding the debian/
directory).

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer