Re: No native packages?

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> ]] Gergely Nagy
>
>> No, not really. I don't really care what tools one uses, as long as the
>> result is reasonably easy *and* reliable to work with. Since VCS can be
>> stale, and quite often does not include neither NMUs, nor backports,
>> that fails the reliable requirement.
>
> It sounds like you are arguing that we should just ship the the
> repository in the source package, then.  No chance of it ever getting
> out of date, trivial to find the merge points and missing patches
> between two packages and fits much better with a VCS-driven workflow.

That would be useful, yes, but that's unrelated to a package being
native or not.

What I'm saying is, Debian source packages *must* be useful on their own
aswell, for those corner cases where the VCS is not an appropriate place
to turn to. (Provided there's a VCS at all, but that's another
discussion again)