Re: No native packages?

On 28 January 2013 18:17, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:36:45AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>> > ]] Gergely Nagy

>> > It sounds like you are arguing that we should just ship the the
>> > repository in the source package, then.  No chance of it ever getting
>> > out of date, trivial to find the merge points and missing patches
>> > between two packages and fits much better with a VCS-driven workflow.
>>
>> Yes, many of us would like that, which is why it's been repeatedly
>> discussed at Debconfs, but no one has come up with a good solution to the
>> fact that this requires reviewing the entire VCS archive for DFSG-freeness
>> and rewriting history if any non-free code is ever introduced in it.  (Or,
>> well, changing the requirements we have around source package freeness,
>> but that seems less likely.)
>
> Maybe I forgot the answer, but at least in terms of git and the dpkg
> 3.0 (git) format, why can't we simply make use of shallow cloning?  We

How many revisions does one need to shallow clone to have an .orig.
tree and a debian tree?
As one commonly still wants to see what changes are applied if any.
If the answer is 2 and git can diff them, than it's great.
(Or 3 to include pristine-tar delta?! do we still care about
pristine-tar at this point?!)

Regards,

Dmitrijs.