Re: Backports upgrade policy (ButAutomaticUpdates:yes)

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> I think we ought to revert this change and turn off
> ButAutomaticUpgrades for the backports archive (and update
> apt_preferences(5)).

You can find much of the same discussion in the bugreport requesting
implementation of this feature in APT: #596097

In short: If you followed the recommendations in previous releases you
were already used to this kind of behavior, so this flag just makes it
way easier to reach the recommend mode of operation.

Real world feedback over the years has convinced me this is a good mode
to have as default for backports, regardless of the drawbacks it has as the
alternative default is worse if not managed carefully.
(but as I said two years ago, not my decision either way)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies