Getting rid of an obsolete library package or let's say byebye to libsox-fmt-ffmpeg

Hi guys,
  I'm still learning how to do things properly when it comes to
packaging shared libraries, please bare with me.

To make a long story short, ffmpeg support in SoX has been mostly
broken (upstream) for a while now and no one seems to care anymore
[1]. The issue has been often time discussed upstream and thus it's
scheduled for deprication.

Answering to bug #693642 [2], I've uploaded sox (14.4.0-4) with
disabled ffmpeg support to experimental.

In what seems to be in retrospect a misstep, I've uploaded a version
of sox (14.4.0-5) to fix #676167 [3] but that also has disabled
ffmpeg. I moved ahead as looking at the reverse dependencies, I did
not see any package that explicitely depended on libsox-fmt-ffmpeg. I
also think that if any package indirectly depends on libsox-fmt-ffmpeg
via libsox-fmt-all, it must already be broken as, again, the ffmpeg
support in SoX is oh so very broken.

Now, looking at the excuses [4] it seems I should have done something
special to get rid of libsox-fmt-ffmpeg. How do I properly get rid of
libsox-fmt-ffmpeg ?

Thanks,

-Pascal
--
[1] Most recent discussion starts there:
http://www.mail-archive.com/sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00082.html