Re: Bootstrappable Debian - proposal of needed changes

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 08:58:06AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 07:18:40PM +0100, Johannes Schauer a écrit :

> > The build profile format was proposed by Guillem Jover together with
> > other solutions he presented in this document [7] as part of bug#661538.
> > Build profiles extend the Build-Depends format with a syntax similar to
> > architecture restrictions but using < and > instead.

> >   Build-Depends: huge (>= 1.0) [i386 arm] <!embedded !stage1>, tiny

> Hi Johannes,

> It looks to me that the above is trying to implement the equivalent of
> Recommends for build dependancies.  "The Recommends field should list
> packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual
> installations."

Recommends are totally useless for build-dependencies and this idea is a
non-starter.  Builds *must* be reproducible and *must not* rely on arbitrary
variations in the build environment.  The fundamental requirement for these
profiles is for bootstrapping; we must have a guarantee that at each stage
of the bootstrap, the output is well-formed to support the next stage of the
bootstrap, and that at the *end* of the bootstrap the result is a complete
package and not an arbitrary subset.

> Are you entirely sure that you need to distinguish between profiles,
> instead of having the source package build rules do the right things
> according to which recommended packages have been installed ?

Yes.