Re: multilib followup: caution about remnant shared library files

Hi Paul,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:19:38AM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> However, some packages don't remove their own files (or, at least,
> they don't get it done for me).  In the packaging, there are multilib
> instructions, to assure the removal of files from /usr/lib when the
> new are installed in the new folders. However, some packages
> malfunction, and so you are left with the old shared library files.  I
> was having a devil of a time building some packages because the build
> system was finding libraries that I thought had been removed in
> /usr/lib.

> I used a handy Debian tool "cruft" to survey the situation, and here
> are some of the "abandoned" library files that were left in /usr/lib:

> libanl-2.11.2.so
> libanl.so.1
> libBrokenLocale-2.11.2.so
> libBrokenLocale.so.1
> libcidn-2.11.2.so
> libcidn.so.1
> libcrypt-2.11.2.so
> libcrypt.so.1
> libgcc_s.so.1
> libmemusage.so
> libnss_compat-2.11.2.so
> libnss_compat.so.2
> libnss_dns-2.11.2.so
> libnss_dns.so.2
> libnss_files-2.11.2.so
> libnss_files.so.2
> libnss_hesiod-2.11.2.so
> libnss_hesiod.so.2
> libnss_nis-2.11.2.so
> libnss_nisplus-2.11.2.so
> libnss_nisplus.so.2
> libnss_nis.so.2
> libpcprofile.so
> libresolv-2.11.2.so
> libresolv.so.2
> libSegFault.so
> libthread_db-1.0.so
> libthread_db.so.1

These files are all from glibc.  The glibc package has never been installed
to /usr/lib: it installs to /lib.  So what you have here is a local install
of eglibc on your disk, not installed by Debian.  (It's also a version of
glibc, 2.11.2, which was not included in any stable Debian release.)  So
this isn't something that Debian should have handled for you as part of an