Re: openmotif is now LGPL, retirement of lesstif in jessie?

Hi Graham,

On 24-12-12 10:41, Graham Inggs wrote:
> The openmotif package has recently been orphaned since the maintainer
> is MIA.

Not quite, the maintainer said he didn't have time anymore. It is a
detail anyway.

> I have been working on a new packaging of the LGPL motif from scratch
> using dh.

Why from scratch? Take the good things from the current package, but
indeed, I would like to switch to dh(1) as well. I am currently working
on getting the current package fit for multiarch and hardening enabled.

> I would like to see the openmotif package renamed to motif

What do others on this list think? I think openmotif as the source
package name is a fine, but I don't really care. The only thing that I
like about keeping the name is that the history of the package is better
linked in the PTS and such.

> and replace lesstif in jessie.

Let's call it migration to motif and retirement of lesstif.

> My motif package will be available in my Ubuntu PPA within the next
> day or two: https://launchpad.net/~ginggs/+archive/ppa

I do appreciate your effort, but currently Joël Bertrand is the one in
the orphan bug [1], stating his intent to adopt (although he forgot to
retitle and own the bug). I proposed to him (no response yet) to make
this a team effort, do you want to join? I really would like to get the
packaging in a VCS, e.g. on Alioth in the collab-maint project.

If he agrees, we could start with packaging the next version already in
experimental. Although of course, we should be focusing on releasing
Wheezy right now.

Paul