Re: Discarding uploaded binary packages

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> wrote:
> Maybe someone would be interested in writing a lintian check for these
> issues?  Something a bit more advanced than this
>
> $ strings /sbin/dhclient | grep ^PATH
> PATH=/home/zero79/source/git/isc-dhcp/debian/tmp/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/s
> bin:/usr/bin
>
> would have caught the issue (advanced aspect being that reasonable
> paths are ok'd).

Having a PATH set isn't a problem if it's set to something like /sbin:/bin or
something else restrictive.  The PATH isn't the problem here anyway it's the
use of a directory under /home which would potentially be a problem if it's
used for configuration files or data files.

We could have a lintian warning for any occurance of the string "/home" in a
packaged file and have error conditions for "/build" and the current value of
$HOME for the account running lintian.