Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:
> Marco Nenciarini <mnencia@debian.org> writes:

>> I've seen recently several company I'm working with getting away from
>> Debian in favor of Ubuntu because they have a LTS version. However I
>> don't know if this is a general trend.

> I can confirm the trend for a couple of organisations.  The primary
> reason that I identified was the retirement of security support for
> Lenny and that Lenny packages are removed from many Debian mirrors which
> made it difficult to use Lenny machines.  IMHO, supporting an OS release
> for only 3 years is not long enough.

I've heard lots of this too, and have seen multiple concrete examples.
However, they all uniformly seem to significantly misunderstand Ubuntu
security support and think that considerably more of the Ubuntu archive is
supported in LTS than is actually the case.

People don't seem to realize that Debian security support is rather more
comprehensive than Ubuntu's is for their LTS release.