Re: possible mass bug filing for packages shipping stuff in /var/run, /var/lock, /run?

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Imagine for a minute that we have 2 implementation of the same service.
> Lets say, for this example, MariaDB and MySQL (this is *not* a real world
> example, since last time I checked, we don't have MariaDB in Debian but
> it well could be a real problem). Both MySQL and MariaDB would use and
> implement /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock. If both were installable at the same
> time, then shipping /var/run/mysql would create a useless conflict, while
> they could really live together (of course, not started at the same time,
> but living on the same filesystem, giving the user the option to switch from
> one to another as wished).
>
> So it *is* a very practical problem. I know at least that multiple packages
> are using /var/run/ircd for example.

And? It's perfectly possible to share directories between multiple
packages.

The fact that /var/run/mysql/ would be owned by multiple packages is no
different from the fact that /var/run/ is already owned by multiple
packages:
$ dpkg -S /var/run
base-files, isc-dhcp-client, uml-utilities, dnsmasq-base: /var/run

It's *not* a problem.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/