Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

Le lundi, 27 août 2012 19.21:22, Andrew Shadura a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> (As a Tcler I have to comment on this.)

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:36:43 +0200 Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org> wrote:

(Do you really have to comment on a 10-months old dead thread?)

> > 1) "Forget about jimtcl, rely on existing tcl interpreters"
> >
> >     This is mostly "repacking to avoid the embedded jimtcl copy", "no
> >     packaging of it, go on as is done currently; by relying on
> >     existing tcl interpreters.
> >
> >     Pros: easy, straightforward,avoids the binary embedding of jimtcl.
> >     Cons: does not solve the "desktop install needs tcl interpreter".
>
> Jimsh is already available, and can be used separately. Also, libjim
> allows linking dynamically.

Yes. Back then, I packaged jimsh and made it create the libjim0debian2 package
to be able to dynamically link usb-modeswitch's
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch_dispatcher against it. For what is worth,
libjim0debian2 is 296k (+ changelog and copyright).

> > 5) "Rewrite the usb-modeswitch-dispatcher in C"
> >
> >     This work has already been done by Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre for the
> >     Ubuntu ackage.
> >     For now, the upstream developer hasn't included this rewrite into
> >
> > the upstream package (for his own set of reasons). My current
> > strategy is to avoid as much as possible to diverge from upstream,
> > hence why it's not in Debian's usb-modeswitch for now.
> >
> >     Pros: No tcl interpreter needed.
> >     Cons: as it's not an upstream effort, it can become out-of-sync
> >           in terms of functionality and bugfixes (and indeed currently is
> >           as of 1.2.0~beta).
>
> Stupid and useless.

No. That's rather "different approach".

> > What's your opinion ?
>
> Just link it against libjim, statically or dynamically.

That's been done since Oct. 2011, dynamically. What is your point in reviving
this thread?

OdyX