Re: Minified javascript files

Bernd Zeimetz writes ("Re: Minified javascript files"):
> On 08/16/2012 08:59 PM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Aug 16, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I know this is tedious but what others think about this matter?
> > This is another case in which the DFSG has become a religion to be
> > followed in a literalist interpretation instead of a tool to be used
> > for the purpose of advancing software freedom.
>
> I rarely share Marco's opinion, but this time I do.

I agree.  There are good reasons for being cautious about non-free
stuff in source packages, but the way we do things now is pointless
make-work.

Better would be if we could teach dpkg-source to remove undesirable
things, present in the original source tarball, from the unpacked
source tree.  Then they wouldn't be distracting/confusing and there
would be no risk of using them by mistake but we wouldn't have to prat
about rebuilding archives which might otherwise remain pristine.

Doing it this way would also prevent accidental reintroduction of the
undesired files into the source tree visible to Debian, which can
happen if someone uploading a new upstream version forgets to launder
the upstream source.

Ian.