Re: Minified javascript files

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> 2012/8/17 Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>:
> > But it usually does and also results in a source tarball which is
> > missing essential pieces of the software, so people who download it for
> > non-Debian usage will fail to run the shipped source just because we
> > removed an otherwise free piece of software.
>
> This does not make sense if the removed pieces are useless, as the
> core of this discussion is about.

They are not useless if you take the pristine source which is the
situation that was described by Bernd. When we remove files we often have
to do supplementary modifications (debian/patches/ or add symlink at the
proper place) to get the software to work again... for example changing
the path where the libraries are expected to be found.

> I also don't see the point of providing dozens of convenience copies
> of the very same third-party software bundled with every single pet
> package.

The point is that they do mostly no harm and that saving those few
kilobytes cost human time. Our scarcest resource is human time...

> If a software really needs a third-party software, just warn
> in $buildsystem_of_choice and in INSTALL file.
> Upstream should be really taugth not to reinventing the wheel again
> and again and again...

Unfortunately Debian is not the only downstream of our upstream authors.
While we can try to suggest improvements, we can't always convince them.

That's a reality that we have to live with.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/