Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 03:20:11PM +0200, Ulrich Dangel wrote:
> Not just ifconfig, there is also route, iwconfig, blkid etc. And moving them
> to other directories and add symlinks from sbin/$PROG to bin/$PROG is error
> prone.

"Normal" users do not need to know or care about these tools.  Only
admins use them, or tools that set things up on behalf of the user.
Having them in the default path serves no purpose other than a minor
convenience to a minority of users.  The number of times I've wished
e.g. blkid was in my path is... zero.  Having these immediately
accessible to all users isn't strictly bad, but may cause confusion
and just pollutes the namespace for tab completion etc.  If you want
them in your path, it's trivial to add /sbin to it yourself.  I can't
see any compelling reason to make them the default.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh