Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

Quoting Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org):

> Sure, certainly true.  But, assuming that we have a consensus that the
> distinction no longer matters and just causes extra work (something that
> I'm inclined to agree with but that I don't think we can assume we've
> decided on yet), I hate to see us doing the expedient thing because doing
> the right thing is too hard.

Isn't there something called FHS and which would be the thing to
change first? Or aren't we sticking to the FHS anyway or just don't
care?

I'm probably a bit old school here, but I think that the distinction
between bin and sbin still makes sense. Maybe some binaries are
misplaced (for instance, if ifconfig makes sense to be used as normal
user, then it should be moved to /bin) but is that a reason to throw
the baby out with the bathwater?

And, if we keep /*/bin and /*/sbin separated, then it makes sense to NOT
have /*/sbin in the normal users' PATH.

TBH, I'm not entirely sure that taking Fedora as example here is the
best option, but I might be biased....:)

<troll>We could also put everything in the same directory, call it
/windows and include it in the default PATH.</troll>