Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

On 2012-07-23 17:59:21 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 03:26:29PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > No, I just mean that configuration of some service should be
> > in a limited number of places. But if you agree that it's fine
> > for /etc/default to override config setup somewhere else, then
> > there should not be any problem with ENABLE/DISABLE.
>
> It's not compatible with init systems which do not use the init
> scripts directly, e.g. systemd.

I don't understand. If systemd does not use the init scripts directly,
how can it be aware of the way to start the daemon?

If you want an example, there's wicd-daemon, which just provides an
init script and has an ENABLE/DISABLE switch in /etc/default/wicd.

> A common interface for enabling/disabling is required, which can
> then do the system-specific thing for enabling/disabling. That
> should probably be update-rc.d (though the name is
> sysvinit-specific). Since we're going to be changing the update-rc.d
> interface in wheezy+1, maybe we could simply replace it with e.g.
> update-service and provide a compatibility wrapper. And we should
> ensure that all init systems provide add/remove/enable/disable
> actions. The stop|start actions are going to simply defer to the
> "defaults" action, and will ultimately go.

A common interface would be nice. But what if there are multiple
ways to disable a daemon (as mentioned by Tollef Fog Heen)? I think
that it should be flexible enough so that the user can choose.

IMHO it should also provide some logging mechanism for
add/remove/enable/disable actions.