Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-11 at 07:54pm, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 20:01 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > "essential parts of what the upstream GNOME project has to offer" - as
> > its package description also clearly reflects.
> And NM is not essential in my point of view

Your view is irrelevant here: GNOME project considers it essential.

> > When I want "smallest possible GNOME setup" i install gnome-session
> As said before, I'm not looking for a minimal gnome, but for a typical
> gnome installation.

No, you are looking for an *atypical* installation, want Debian to
provide a meta-package that fits your needs.

Sorry, but Debian only provides meta-packages for typical needs.  And
only for *some* typical needs.

Debian can be very flexible - just install normal packages.  But you
want something simpler.

Debian can be very simple - just install meta-packages.  But you want
something more customized.

*sigh*

> I can argue that a network connection is not part of the core
> functionality as gnome could work perfectly without network
> connection.

You can, and you do, but gnome-core is not about "core functionality".

Read the package description for an explanation of what the package is
about!

 - Jonas