Re: Introducing http.debian.net, Debian's mirrors redirector

Hi,

On Thursday 21 June 2012 23:03:34 shirish शिरीष wrote:
> > More details, comparison to other approaches, and more information can
> > be found at:
> > http://http.debian.net/
>
> I *think* it should be also beneficial for jigdo stuff as well.

Yes. Not sure how the downloader used by jigdo handles redirections, but it
should work nevertheless.

> There is one thing though, for some reason it takes much more
> bandwidth when updating the index then my previous way.
[...]
> Previously when I was using a single mirror, most of the time the diff
> between two runs was at the most 750 kB in the index update run. I can
> recall there is something call .pdiff which made it easier and smaller
> to have the index updated.

For some reason, there no longer are "pdiff"s for stable, so it has to
download the whole files on every update.

Unless the files really changed, the Last-Modified-Since headers should have
prevented the download. Will have to check if they are correctly preserved,
it might be that.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer