Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

On 13/06/2012 03:53, Serge wrote:
> 2012/6/12 Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> I still think that the easy tmpfs resizing makes it superior for /tmp.
>
> Why do people repeat that tmpfs is easy to resize? Yes, you need about 3
> commands to resize tmpfs, but you need 0 (zero!) commands to resize /tmp on
> disk, because it's large by default and you don't need to resize it. It's
> easier to NOT resize /tmp on disk then resize /tmp on tmpfs, isn't it? ;)

Obviously, you only think of /tmp as mounted on /. This is often seen as
not a good move to have a user-writable directory on the system
partition(s), since this provides for easy DOS (even involuntary; I know
of people daily working with 30GB files, and this easily fills the /
partition).

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq (beating a dead horse)