Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Also, the symlink attack thing isn't just something I made up;
> tmpreaper's REAME.Debian actually warns about that.

It's not particularly hard to securely delete /tmp in single user mode,
ie at boot. Just don't follow symlinks. Tmpreaper's potential for
symlink attacks is entirely due to it being run in multiuser mode, which
provides the potential for users to race it.

Thankfully, tmpreaper is not included in the base system, although I
would still prefer it not be included in Debian at all, because IMHO
it's a security hole waiting to happen, as well as a Debian-specific
fork that has now missed out on 14 years (!!!) of upstream development
and, presumably, security improvements. http://bugs.debian.org/71251

--
see shy jo