Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:09:31AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> writes:
Don’t you think this is getting quite ridiculous? Big temporary
files belong in your $HOME, but small temporary files in /tmp? Only to
switch /tmp from disk to RAM?
No, I just don't consider a 4.7GiB download a temporary thing. I still
have the mindset that that should take time, cost money and therefore be
precious and should not be lost on reboot.

Well, everything you do with your computer will cost money. The download will take its time, yes, but you don’t have to wait for it to be finished.

But for me your example still describes a temporary file *if* I want to delete the file after I burned the ISO.

But does the default have to be maximised for the dumbest possible user?
Or should the default rather be for the intelligent user doing the right
things?

But the intelligent user can change the default hisself, the dumbest can’t. And Debian does allow the inexperienced user to install his system.

According to the discussion the installer will create one partition
for swap and one for /. If this is true then the standard user has far
more space on disk than he has RAM.
Just wait one more release and it will only be one partition with swap
files. And lets give that partition a drive letter like "C:\". :)
I realy don't like the direction DI is taking there.

ROTFL, yes maybe. I agree that I don’t like one big partition as well, but how do you want to partition a disk by default?

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |