Re: Starting services automatically after install

On 2012-06-03 08:21:34 +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Try to see it from the other side: I don't understand why you would a
> like a service not started by default. The daemon is there to be run,
> so running it is the most sensible approach in almost all cases[1].

Well, a mail server daemon must not be run until it is completely
configured, in particular when manual configuration is needed,
e.g. to set up aliases and/or to check if some disk is mounted.
Otherwise this means that mail will be rejected. Because of that,
I potentially lost mail on an Ubuntu machine. But I think that
Debian has/had the same problem.