Target path variables in debian/rules

I am building a package where I'm overriding the man page generation to
include man pages that are generated at build time. A simplified version
of the override in my debian/rules is:

override_dh_installman:
    dh_installman --
    /somepath/create-a-man-page > ${mandir}/man1/packagename.1

However, I don't know how to specify the target path for the man pages,
which I've tentatively indicated by ${mandir} in the above snippet. I'm
not using autoconf, which seems to set some path variables.

What should I write instead of ${mandir} to get the proper path (so that
the entire path on my particular system becomes
debian/packagename/usr/share/man/man1/packagename.1)?

--
Ole Wolf
Rødhættevej 4 • 9400 Nørresundby