Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Steve Langasek wrote:
> There is no excuse for hijacking a package, ever.
>
> If the maintainer is MIA, use the MIA process to get the package orphaned.

This goes too far IMO. One of the reasons why the MIA process has been
setup is because many DD fear forcibly taking over or forcibly orphaning
a package. So instead of relying on random DD to do it, we put up some
best practice procedure and a team to handle this.

But this process is not set in stone, and if a DD believes that the best
course of action is to orphan/take over a package, he should certainly be
free to do it all by him/herself.

Informing the MIA team for tracking purpose is still a good idea, though.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/