Re: Debian documentation permalinks

On 30/05/12 22:42, Karl Goetz wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:20:24 +0100
Philip Ashmore<contact@philipashmore.com>  wrote:

On 30/05/12 12:29, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
  On 05/26/2012 09:09 PM, Philip Ashmore wrote:
  On 05/26/2012 06:53 AM, Jonathan Callen wrote:
  On 05/25/2012 10:03 PM, Philip Ashmore wrote:
  Hi there.

  First, here's what I'm talking about -
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permalink
  Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't offer permalinks itself, so
  hopefully the above link won't "rot".

  And here's the permalink to the above article, as it was when the
  preceding post was made:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Permalink&oldid=483438630
  Or, if you prefer links that don't indicate where they're really
going: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=483438630

  I'm happy and sad with this.
  Happy that Wikipedia provides permalink support.
  Sad that it didn't document it in its article about permalinks.

  Is there documentation on this feature somewhere?

makes a compelling argument for moving Debian documentation to
MediaWiki.

  Which documentation are you talking about? Most official
documentation should have a fixed URL.

  If you are talking about the wiki: retrieving a fixed version from
  moinmoin is the same as in mediawiki.

  So I can't see a useful argument here, only FUD trying to talk
people into using Mediawiki.

Hi there and thanks for your feedback.

I'm talking about the fact that Debian has mail archives that may
include links to documentation that has changed since the mail was
written, possibly rendering the mail thread misleading or nonsensical.

Any documentation system that can provide a means to refer to a
specific version (permalinks) would be better than what's there now.

Could you give examples of things lacking permalinks?
thanks,
kk

http://www.debian.org/

Philip