Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On May 16, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> [CC'ing Hans-Christoph in case he isn't following this list]
>
> On 12-05-16 at 02:47pm, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

>>> As one of the maintainers of debootstrap, I am perhaps more aware
>>> than some how broadly it's used. Ok..
>>>
>>> They use it on Android (41,600 hits including
>>> http://evilzone.org/android/debian-on-android/)
>>> They use it on Nokia (96,600 hits)
>>> They use it on Nook (14,000 hits)
>>> They use it on headless old Red Hat systems in a datacenter
>>> somewhere
>>> They use it on Debian oldstable systems, where xz-utils is not even
>>> packaged.
>>> They use it on absolutely modern peices of unusual kit that ship
>>> with some crufty busybox binary (no source naturally) from far up
>>> the supplier chain, that was built well before xz support entered
>>> busybox in 2010.
>>
>> How are they relevant? Where do they download and unpack udebs? Where
>> is busybox used to unpack debs?
>
> Perhaps this example is relevant:
> http://guardianproject.info/code/lildebi/
>
> @Hans-Christoph: Does that project use a debootstrap without xz support,
> and would its tricks break if Debian was to switch to compress its
> binary packages with xz instead of gzip?

It was originally using some ancient busybox binary without xz support. Since we are now building busybox from source, we should be able to easily include busybox's xz.  So if busybox's xz works for .debs, then it should work ok.

For the record, LilDebi does not use busybox's 'dpkg-deb' because it doesn't work with debootstrap.  I haven't really looked into why because using 'ar' works.

.hc