Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> writes:
> So, the
> real problem is: How do you define the boot process of a computer. For
> me it is when the kernel has been loaded by the boot media, memory,
> graphics card, etc initialized. Some modules are needed for boot, other
> modules can be loaded later. The only case I can see when you need a
> network during the boot process is when booting from the network, and
> for that you can predefine which modules to load.

Isn't mounting filesystems, which can depend on the network, part of
the boot process?

I recently had an unpleasant experience where I switched to
network-manager to make gnome-shell happy, but network-manager runs
too late in the boot process, so none of my NFS filesystems got
mounted.

I certainly wished there was a bit more proper ordering going on
then...

-miles

--
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.