Re: what to do is maintainer is lacking?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 03:07:39PM +0200, Michael Schmitt wrote:
> Anyway, up to now, officially, afaik Ove was kindly asked several
> times if he needs help but he is a bit reluctant to just accept that
> help unconditionally. In his pov to built good WINE-packages some
> effort has to be made and others would likely just "hack" something
> together. He has seen such things in the past, so he wants others to
> prove first that they have quality in mind too.

It's crucial to distinguish between lack of committment to quality, and lack
of experience with a particular package.  A maintainer who can find no one
in Debian who meets their standards is often confusing the one for the
other.

> One could argue if Oves standards are too high (at least for some / most
> users), but that IS the right of every maintainer and at least I prefer
> quality over fast-shots.

It is the responsibility of a maintainer to maintain their package to high
standards.  But this is a two-part responsibility:  to hold high standards,
and to *maintain* the package.  A maintainer who is not actually maintaining
the package has no right to block others, regardless of the relative height
of their standards.