Re: what to do is maintainer is lacking? (was: wine-unstable in Debian)

Le Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 05:00:57PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :

> The point of NMUs is *helping* a maintainer which, for different reasons, is
> temporarily unable to fix specific issues in their packages. If the NMU-er
> keeps that principle in mind, everything else descends more or less
> naturally.

Hi Stefano,

much of you wrote here make a lot of sense, and I think it would be a good stem
for an update the Developers Reference (and therefore mark DEP1 obsolete after
four years of good service to Debian).

But a point on which I am often commenting, for which I would be very
interested to read your opinion, is when the NMU misses the point that the
package is not maintained anymore.

If we would converge on a good rule of thumb to replace the nth NMU in a row to
a QA orphaning, then I believe that the updated NMU section in the Developers
Reference would then stay unchanged for a long time.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan