Re: what to do is maintainer is lacking? (was: wine-unstable in Debian)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:00:43AM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> Debian has NMUs (Non-Maintainer Uploads) -- however this is mainly meant for
> uploading critical bug fixes without having to resort to hijacking the
> package, and AFAIK not to be used to upload new versions of the software.

Before making this kind of claims, I suggest (re-)reading section 5.11.1
of the Debian Developers Reference, i.e. the section about NMUs:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu-guidelines

it is in fact quite more liberal than what you seem to imply. And it has
been so for quite a few years now.

Hope this helps,