Re: The future of non-dependency-based boot

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> 3) Aborting the upgrade because dependency boot ordering fails will be a
> major issue for users. You already mentioned 2 issues and on my system
> at home I get an error about a dependency loop. Dependency based boot
> doesn't seem to be universally working enough yet.

If it is caused by a package: file a bug, otherwise fix it.

> As a side note I have a use case at work where static order seems to be
> needed. We build boot images for network boot of clusters. During boot
> additional files can be copied from NFS into the system including boot
> scripts. When using dependency based boot order the numbers for boot
> scripts change a lot depending on the boot image (include support for
> lustre, ha, slurm, ... and each gets a different order). That makes it
> impossible (or at least a lot harder) to copy in the same generic boot
> scripts from NFS into different images since the name needs to be
> different for each case. The boot scripts would have to be reordered
> during boot.

Sounds very much like you want to configure those other boot scripts in a
different runlevel to then switch to it. If you do it all by hand you need
to: copy them, create the symlinks, run insserv, telinit.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net