Re: The future of non-dependency-based boot

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:26:38PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When dependency-based booting was introduced, it was initially
> entirely optional.  We later made it the default, and encouraged
> users to switch to dependency-based boot on upgrade.  So today,
> pretty much everyone will be using dependency-based boot with
> there being a minority continuing to use the static boot ordering
> of yore.  Probably mostly users who upgraded from etch.

The upgrade tool still needs some work, most of messages it produces are
less than helpful.  For example, it will scream about removed but not purged
scripts that do have LSB headers (ie, any from lenny or squeeze), and then
you have gems like this:

 │ Unable to migrate to dependency-based boot system
 │
 │ Tests have determined that problems in the boot system exist which
 │ prevent migration to dependency-based boot sequencing:
 │
 │ package initscripts left obsolete init.d script behind, package
 │ initscripts left obsolete init.d script behind, package initscripts
 │ left obsolete init.d script behind
 │

Am I supposed to fetch a copy of initscripts and manually compare scripts
it ships with those on 'dpkg -L initscripts'?  Or is there some other
obscure way?

"grep -L 'BEGIN INIT INFO' `dpkg -L initscripts`" doesn't show anything in
/etc/init.d, at least.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple