Re: The future of non-dependency-based boot

On Apr 09, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> majority, it's going to be increasingly untested.  Do we want to
> continue to maintain something that will be increasingly
> unsupportable, or complete the migration cleanly before that point?
Kill it. With fire.

> WRT actually doing this, the main issues I can see are
I say just abort the upgrade and let root deal with the issues found,
it's better than risking clobbering some local change.

> - blocking by obsolete-but-unpurged init scripts without LSB header.
>   We could mv them out of the way to .dpkg-old and continue, or
>   abort and require manual intervention.
Or just say in the release notes that it's a good idea to run something
like this before upgrading:

dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/ {print $2}' | xargs --no-run-if-empty dpkg --purge

> This can, of course, be left until wheezy+1.  It's just something
Why wait?

--
ciao,
Marco