Re: synaptic in gnome (wheezy, etc)

Hi songbird,

On 2012-03-27 14:04, songbird wrote:
hello,

   regarding your recent message about synaptic in
Gnome.

   i have been using it all along with wheezy in
Gnome.

   i dislike any other package manager i've tried.
i need a way to generate a download list so i can
get larger files via the library and USB stick
(slow connection here at home).

   as far as interface goes synaptic is intuitive and
mostly does what i need it to do.

   for troubles i use dpkg or aptitude to sort it out.
other helpful tools have been orphaner and apt-get.

Thank you. In the interest of transparency, please directly provide your opinion to debian-devel@lists.debian.org in the future.

   the only thing i'm hitting now that is a consistent
problem (but i'm not sure where it comes from) is that
the translations for testing,sid,experimental download
each time i check for updates instead of getting a
smaller diff (like the pdiffs that happen for the
package files).  as i am on a dialup that has changed
the check for updates from a 15 minute task (most
times) to a 45-60 minute task.  if you know of a bug
number i can track for this issue that would be helpful.
i haven't been able to find anything in the bug tracker
to follow.

I didn't, but I found this one: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=657902 The issue is solved in experimental, but it will take some time before the solution reaches wheezy. If you're on dialup though, 2 problems may affect you, the need to get descriptions for all languages if you didn't configure APT to download just English, and the need to update English descriptions. The latter problem will be solved by future APT versions, but to solve the former, you need to configure APT. I use

Acquire::Languages "en";

to do that. But then, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=641967

   i'm not a C++ programmer yet (most of my experience
is with C and even most of that isn't recent so i'm
gradually getting back to it), but i can probably help
in some manner (testing at least).

   thanks and good luck,  :)

   songbird