Re: bug reports with urls in them

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> I just tried to report a bug. To show how one can reproduce
> the bug I needed an url, I chose www.foo.org for that purpose. The
> result:

> <submit@bugs.debian.org>:
> 140.211.15.34 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 550-Blacklisted URL in message. (foo.org) in [black]. See
> 550 http://lookup.uribl.com.

> WTF? Interesting user experience, bug reporters will like that big
> time...

The problem here is that foo.org is a real domain, and one that appears to
be owned by one of those domain parking companies that quite likely could
be doing lots of grey things with the domain.  A lot of those companies
are at the least spammers.

In this particular case, it's in a blacklist with a zero-false-positive
goal, which *probably* (although with blacklists it's always suspect)
means that there really was a spamvertised site or other direct spam usage
of that URL, although it's possible that the reports were from "generic"
URL usages similar to yours mixed in with spam.

There are various registered domains specifically for use for your purpose
(example.com, example.org, example.net, and others).  It's generally best
to use them for any generic example rather than a domain that could be
real.