Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 17:24 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> >> This will, however, start nis in parallel with autofs, whereas what is
> >> probably wanted is that nis be up and running before autofs is
> >> started.
> >
> > Well, I fudged a little here.  You're right that, as written above, nis is
> > not guaranteed to start before autofs.  Due to a (well-understood and
> > recognized) limitation of upstart's current event handling, if the
> > 'runlevel' event is seen before 'starting autofs', the subsequent 'starting
> > autofs' event will *not* block waiting for nis to be started, and so the
> > startup will happen in parallel.
>
> Which is the problem. Half the time on boot autofs fails to get the maps
> from NIS.
[...]

We use autofs and NIS at work, and I found that this was also unreliable
on Fedora 16 (using systemd).  I would have to restart the autofs
service before logging in.  A subsequent update seems to have made it
reliable again, but I didn't look at how they do this.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Lowery's Law: