Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

]] "Bernhard R. Link"

> * Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> [120224 10:45]:

[...]

> > systemd unit files are declarative.
>
> And that is exactly why I think you will likely need to be C programmer
> and understand the internals of systemd to debug your boot process and
> to fix it in case you have problems.

How do you come to that conclusion?  It's not like you need to be a C
programmer to debug CSS files or a C programmer to debug Makefiles.

> Or if you want to do anything not explicitly supported (for example,
> how easy is it with systemd to run a daemon within strace?) you might
> need to replace the declarative part with a shell script part, which
> most people will not be able to do easily.

sed -i 's|\(ExecStart=-?\)\(.*\)|\1strace -o /tmp/foo.out \2|' foo.service
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart foo.service

so not particularly hard.

(Often you can get away with just doing systemctl restart foo.service;
strace -p $(pidof process), but I guess you'd consider that
cheating. :-)

--
Tollef Fog Heen