Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
>
>> Changing the name in the package would break tools that rely on the name
>> (like packages.debian.org extracting the Changelog). Also ugly.
>
> We control the tools; we can change the tools.  Multiarch is a big deal.
> We weren't going to get through this without changing some tools.  (One
> should not read that as my support of this specific alternative, as I've
> not decided there yet, but in general I think it's fair game to change our
> tools to support multiarch.)

One should not read that as my rejection of this specific alternative, as
I've not decided there yet, but in general I think it's fair game to
change our tools to support multiarch.

Problem I have is with the timeframe of such a change. While we can
change packages.d.o quite quickly given somebody willing to write the
patch we can not quickly change the tools in stable. And I really really
really do not want to have to wait yet another release cycle.

MfG
        Goswin