Re: Teams in changelog trailers

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 03:21:10PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
[snip]
> That argument has come up before.  It is nice that our online machinery
> can infer such information.  I still find it much better to simply
> require that the changelog entry reflects in its final line the Debian
> entity responsible for the packaging release.
It seems to me that the changelog is not the place for that information.
Its purpose is to document the changes made to the packaging, which is
totally orthogonal to whether it has been uploaded and by whom.

From a user POV, what matters is to know who made the changes. The chain
of trust that lead to the changes being accepted into the archive are
only useful for internal purposes, AFAICT, and thus should not be into
the package.

I think of this piece of info as something similar to the Ack-By: tags
in Git and such : it would not make sense to store it in the code
itself. And here, the whole debian/ directory is the code.

Regards,

Simon