Re: Multiarch file overlap summary and proposal

On 2012-02-14 07:43, Russ Allbery wrote:

> 4. Lintian overrides.  I believe these should be qualified with the
>    architecture on any multiarch: same package so that the overrides can
>    vary by architecture, since this is a semi-frequent use case for
>    Lintian.

> * Lintian should recognize arch-qualified override files, and multiarch:
>   same packages must arch-qualify their override files.  debhelper
>   assistance is desired for this.

> Please note that this is a bunch of work.  I think the Lintian work is a
> good idea regardless, and it can start independently.  I think the same is

Lintian (2.5.1) already supports arch qualification inside the override file:

    + [NT] Allow simple architecture overrides such as [i386] or [!i386].
      Architecture wildcards are not supported yet.  The actual syntax
      for the architecture the same as the one used in the Build-Depends.
      Thanks to Andreas Beckmann for the bug report and the solution
      proposal.  (Closes: #622888)

This is already used for nvidia-graphics-drivers etc.

Andreas