Re: Use of the first person in messages from the computer

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:57:44AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst writes ("Re: Use of the first person in messages from the computer"):
> > A computer cannot refer to itself, because it does not have a self.
>
> I'm sorry, but that is completely wrong.
>
>  "README"
>  "drink me"
>  "<someone> me facit"
>
> I'm sure others can come up with many other examples, ancient and
> modern.

Examples of incorrectness in the past do not make the incorrectness
correct.

I have always felt somewhat awkward about the "README" filename; but
since it's used mostly everywhere, everyone knows what it means.

> I web searched for "inanimate object first person" and it seems that a
> common task set in writing classes is to write an essay or story in
> the first person from the point of view of an inanimate object.
>
> Or are we going to rename all our READMEs READTHISFILE ?

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind.

the following formula:

pi zz a